Who We Are
Your Impossible Voice publishes brash and velvety new work from around the globe, including fiction, poetry, nonfiction, translations, literary reviews, essays, and interviews.
What We Are Looking For
We are interested in writing from around the world. We want to receive transmissions from outer space, as well as from deep underground. We are not bored and prefer not to be. We like urgency, innovation, intelligence, risk. We’re interested in what language can do and in challenging our preconceptions. We love lucid dreams, blurred boundaries, formal play, and stories we’ve never heard. We love the voices of deluded philosophers, hallucinating prisoners, cold-blooded rationalists and insane children. We love realism in the sense that everything is real. We have fairly open minds. Surprise us. Make us think or make us feel or make our brains explode. We are waiting.
Send us work that frustrates our ideas of beauty and illuminates surreal new intersections. Ignite our understanding of form. We are drawn to sharp juxtapositions, secret codes and mysterious circumstances. Show us what lives in your peripheral vision; invite us into your hidden rooms. Hand us the skeleton key and the magnifying glass – we’re ready to follow.
What You Should Know
- Your Impossible Voice only accepts submissions through submittable. Do not email us your submissions or send us hard copies—we will not consider them.
- We welcome simultaneous submissions but ask that you withdraw your submission immediately through submittable if accepted elsewhere.
- We ask that you only submit one piece of prose at a time or three pieces of poetry. We will respond to all submissions, so please be patient.
- All submissions should be of previously unpublished work. We will not consider work that has appeared elsewhere, whether in print or online.
- Please make sure your name does not appear on the submission itself.
- If we have previously published your work, we ask you to wait 18 months from the date of publication before submitting again.
- We offer $50 for solicited book reviews and unsolicited in-depth author retrospectives or essays.
- Unfortunately, we cannot currently offer payment for unsolicited book reviews, but we will consider them for publication.
- We are particularly interested in small press releases of contemporary translations, works by women, LGBTQIA+, and BIPOC authors.
- We do provide contributor copies and nominate for prizes and awards.
We are always interested in striking images for our front cover. Send previously unpublished submissions in .gif, .jpg, or .png format with a resolution of 300 dpi or higher. Please be sure to briefly describe your media in your cover letter when submitting and send no more than THREE at a time.
Your Impossible Voice publishes new, previously unpublished interviews with emerging and established writers and artists. There is no preferred length of submissions. Unfortunately we are unable to pay for interviews at this time.
Your Impossible Voice prefers reviews of lesser-reviewed works published within the past year. Reviews should be between 500-2000 words except in the case of reviewing an author’s entire body of work. Please make sure your name does not appear on the review itself. We are unable to pay for literary reviews at this time.